Friday, September 24, 2010

Foodie Friday -- Pumpkin Oatmeal

Last night my kids asked if they could choose what we had for dinner.  I hesitatingly (is that a word?) said yes.  I braced myself for their choice and do you know what it was?  Pumpkin Oatmeal.  I'm totally serious.  And yeah...I totally scored in the I've-got-really-awesome-kids department.

So, about 20 minutes later my home smelled like I was walking through Heaven on a crisp Fall evening and my kids happily inhaled ate their oatmeal before going to bed.

Pumpkin Oatmeal (I got this idea from Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious cookbook, but changed it up a lot)
  • 4 cups oatmeal
  • 8 cups water
  • 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1.5 tsp cinnamon
  • .5 tsp cloves
  1. Mix the water, sugar, and vanilla together and bring to a boil.
  2. Add pumpkin, oats, and spices.
  3. Return to boil and cook until thickened to your liking 
  4. Serve with milk and butter.  YUM!

I'm linking to these sites.  Go check them out!

5 comments:

Corinne said...

Will it taste horrible if I don't put that much sugar in it?

Sarah @ The Pumpkin Patch said...

I don't know. I just sort of made this up as I went along. I'm sure you can try it with less. Or you could use some unsweetend applesauce in place of some of the sugar and water. Let me know if you figure it out!!

BPOTW said...

Some of the best creations come from innocent ideas!

Diane said...

Now this is different. Never thought of pumpkin with oatmeal Ü

Anonymous said...

I love pumpkin and will have to give this a try!