Friday, September 3, 2010

Foodie Friday -- Carrot Cake Cupcakes

A friend of mine wanted Carrot Cake for her birthday.  She is also a pretty healthy eater, so I knew I couldn't just make any old Carrot Cake it had to be at least a little bit healthy.  Here's what I came up with and it was DELICIOUS!  (I was running low on time so I baked them as cupcakes instead of as a cake.)

Carrot Cake
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups applesauce
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4  tsp. nutmeg
  • 3 cups grated carrots (grated on the large grater hole side)
  • 1 cup chopped peacons
  • 8 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained well
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour cake pans (or use papers for cupcakes)
  2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, applesause, brown sugar and vanilla.
  3. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
  4. Stir in carrots and pineapple.
  5. Fold in pecans. 
  6. Pour into prepared pans.
  7. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick comes out clean.  bake a 9 x 13 for 40-50 minutes.  bake 2 round pans for 25-35 minutes.  Bake cupcakes for 15-20 minutes.
  8. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and let cool completely.

And when your kids dont know how good they have it, they get these for dessert instead.  :)

I'm linking to these sites.  Go check them out.

2 comments:

Jami said...

Those look so yummy! I'm glad my kids aren't the only ones who don't appreciate good food when they see it!
Just dropped by to remind you that my Pretty Packages Party starts today...I'd love for you to stop by! http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2010/09/pretty-packages-party-2.html
smiles!

Sump Pump Installation Eau Claire said...

This is aawesome