Thursday, July 1, 2010

Thoughtful Thursday -- a Patriot's Heart

I just finished reading "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan".  It is the story of a girl in China while she passes through the different stages of life.  It is fiction and takes place well over 100 years ago.  I have no idea how true to life it is.  I really liked it, but it wasn't your typical "quick read" although it didn't take long to get through.  For me the entire book was incredibly thought provoking.  I found myself stopping to really digest what I was reading and I haven't done that in a while.

Ultimately it made me realize how truly blessed I am to live at this time and in this country.  This is not to say that being born now means everyone will have a blessed life or that being born in the US means that all is well.  I also don't mean to belittle the very real struggles that others are currently living through or have lived through in whichever country they call home.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that I'm thankful for my life and I'm happy it's mine.

How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy. ~Paul Sweeney

Happy 4th of July everyone!

No comments: