Monday, April 19, 2010

Messy Monday -- How to make Play Dough

I think every kid loves play dough. There is just something about the colorful squishiness of it that makes kids go crazy for it. At least my kids go crazy for it. When we have a play dough day, they will play with it for hours! Give them some cookie cutters and the rolling pin, and it becomes play dough heaven. Why buy it when you can make it for pennies?!

Play Dough (salt dough)
  • 1 cup flour (white not wheat)
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 1 Tbsp. Cream of Tartar
  • 1 Tbsp. Oil
  • food coloring of your choice
1.  Put all ingredients in pan and stir while cooking over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until forms a ball on your spoon.
2.  Remove it from heat and scrape it out onto a cutting board and let it cool until you can touch it.
3  Knead it a few times until smooth.
4  Separate into as many smaller portions as you want and place in ziploc bag with several drops of food coloring.
5  Work food coloring into dough until color is even.  You can leave it in the bags or put it into small containers.

Now watch your kids think you are the coolest mom in the world!  Too bad it won't be this easy when they are teenagers.  :)

Have you done something for Messy Monday?  Link it up!!  Here are the rules:

If you are participating in Meessy Monday, please be sure to add your permalink below, and not your general blog address. To get your permalink, click on your post name, then just copy and paste the address that shows up in the address bar at the top, into the "url" box for the picture linky. You'll also need to put your e-mail address in, but don't worry, no one will see it.

Please copy and paste the Messy Monday logo button to your computer. Then you can upload it to your side bar and use it in your MM post so your visitors will know you are participating.





 
Please link back to the host blog, The Pumpkin Patch. This is important because it helps those who are visiting your blog, find everyone else's "Messy Mondays" projects.

Please do not add your link below, until your Messy Monday post is actually published to your blog.

5 comments:

Mandy Beyeler said...

Have you ever tried adding GLITTER to your playdough - a friend gave me the heads up on that one: http://craftedition.blogspot.com/2010/02/take-look-tuesday-playdoh.html

gives it a little extra pizzaz!!

Cortnie said...

As I was making my fondant on Friday I thought to myself...this stuff is just like homemade play dough! I should just give this to the girls to play with! It would taste better if Ella decided to eat it! :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Great play-doh recipe! I've never tried making my own before. :)

Unknown said...

Thank You For Another Informative Website. Where Else Could I Get That Type Of Info Written In Such An Ideal Way? I've A Project That I Am Just Now Working On, And I Have Been On The Look Out For Such Information. adaptu

Anonymous said...

F*ckin? Amazing Issues Here. I Am Very Happy To Peer Your Article. Thanks So Much And I'm Looking Ahead To Contact You. Will You Please Drop Me A Mail? http://www.diobola.com/