Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Apple Strudel Muffins



This week in preschool we are doing a unit on apples so for snack I had the kids help me make some apple muffins.  I haven't made them in a long time and I had forgotten how yummy they are.  They are meant to be made with chopped fresh apple, but we made them with dehydrated apple slices from my food storage.  I wanted the kids to see what happens when you take the water out of the apples and what happens when you try to put it back in.  They were good with dehydrated apples, but they are oh so tasty with fresh apples.  Enjoy!

Apple Strudel Muffins

2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup peeled and chopped apples (chop them into small pieces)

Topping:
1/3 cup browns sugar
1 Tbsp flour
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp cold butter
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare muffin tins (grease or use liners).
  2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  3. In a large bowl beat together butter, sugar, and eggs until smooth.  Mix in vanilla.  Stir in apples and then gradually blend in the flour mixture.
  4. Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin pans.  Sprinkle crumb topping over muffins before baking.
  5. Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick tests clean
Topping:
In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon.  Cut in butter until mixture is coarse crumbs.  Sprinkle on to of muffins before baking.  Lightly push the topping into the muffin dough or it will roll off onto your pan as the muffins rise.


Here are some of my preschoolers getting ready to help.  The girls were all about wearing aprons, but the boy...not so much.

1 comment:

Cortnie said...

MMM...they look so tasty! And, I could use some warm comfort food right about now!

P.S.
You know, I would love to take pictures of your little monkeys ANYTIME! It would make my day! Jus lemme know!