Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Do you know the number to Poison Control?

When E was born the Dr. gave me a magnet with the phone number to poison control and told me that I needed to memorize it.  She said, "Hopefully you will never have to call it, but you need to know the number just in case."  I did memorize the number, and it has come in handy several times over the last 6 years.  I have had to call it for my own kids, and had to give the number to others for their kids.  Every time I have called it, they have been EXTREMELY nice and helpful and whatever the issue was, it was never a big problem.  I have never had to take a child to the ER...until yesterday.

I will spare you all the details, and just say that B ate a pill (I still don't know where she found it) and when I called poison control, they told me to take her to the emergency room.  They had to monitor her heart rate, pulse, blood pressure and breathing for 6 hours.  She also had to drink charcoal to try and absorb anything that was in her stomach.  Once she got a few readings of normal, they released us and we got to come home around 9 pm.

If you find yourself in a similar situation, here is the information you need to know.  The National Poison Control number is 1-800-222-1222.  It is staffed locally by Doctors and nurses. Every time I have had to call it, they have always been very kind. No one has ever talked down to me or made me feel like a bad mom.

I remember as a kid seeing the Mr. Yuk stickers on things that we weren't supposed to touch.  I have never put them on anything in our home, but I think I am going to order some and put them on everything that may be harmful to my kids.

Here is the link to the Mr. Yuk store. It has lots of great information. Some of it you can view as a pdf link without having to buy it. It is worth checking out and making sure you know what things are dangerous and how to safeguard your family...especially your children.

No comments: