Thursday, March 26, 2009

Pumpkin Pancakes

I LOVE pumpkins...I know big surprise!  When I was little my dad used to call me "punkin".  I have read hair and so I always thought he was calling me a pumpkin because we are the same color.  :)  I remember being excited to have "pumpkins" of my own.  Now I have 4...my very own pumpkin patch.

Anyway, I found this recipe on allrecipes.com a while ago.  I have altered it a little bit to fit our family's tastes.  We make them regularly and we love them.  I always make a HUGE batch of them and freeze the leftovers.  You can pop them into the toaster in the morning for a quick, homemade, and filling breakfast for your own pumpkins.

Pumpkin Pancakes

4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp and 1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp salt
3 cups milk
2 cups pumpkin (1 15 oz. can)
2 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup vinegar

1.  In a separate bowl mix the milk (you can use powdered milk too), pumpkin, egg, oil and vinegar.
2.  Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and salt.  Stir into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine.
3.  Heat a lightly oiled griddle or fry pan at just below medium high heat.  Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle using aproximately 1/4 cup for each pancake.  Brown on both sides and serve warm with maple syrup.

**This is very thick batter.  I use a 1/4 cup scoop and sort of spread them out a bit when I put them on the fry pan.  You have to make sure the heat is just below medium high or they will brown too quickly and the middle will still be a little bit doughy.

No comments: